Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Avocado Dressing

I know this might sound crazy, but I think other foodies will back me up on this.  With certain foods I can remember exactly when I started loving them.  Avocado is a good example of that for me.  I was living in Europe, we were traveling a lot, and trying not to spend a ton of money on food.  We were frugal students back then (although my parents might disagree with that) at least it seemed like we were!  Anyway, we would stop at a grocery store when we got to a city and buy ingredients to make sandwiches for lunch so we didn't have to stop at restaurants.  Instead of buying dressing we opted for avocado.  Avocado, turkey, and amazing bread.  I can still taste it, and as the years have passed I've been adding avocado to more and more, and I must say, it's always delicious. 
This recipe is awesome because it's simple and you can use it for many things.  In a food processor or blender, combine two avocados, buttermilk, scallion, parsley, mint leaves, lemon juice, 1/2 cup of water, salt and pepper to taste.  Pulse until smooth.
I used this as a salad dressing, and it was perfect.  Like having avocado pieces but as a dressing, can't get much better than that!  You can also use it as a spread on a sandwich or also as a dressing for chicken salad, which would also be pretty tasty.

Do you have any favorite memories of when you first tried and started enjoying a food?  

Avocado Dressing
Makes ~2 1/2 cups
Adapted from Everyday Food

2 avocados
1 cup buttermilk
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste


In a food processor or blender combine all ingredients.
Pulse until smooth. 
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment