Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Turkey & White Bean Chili

Chili is the perfect thing to make on a lazy fall Saturday, which is exactly what I did.  I love the way it fills the whole house with a delicious smell.  I will admit I didn't need to make the whole recipe as I'm really only cooking for C and I, but it makes for great leftovers too, so it worked out.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat.  Add onion and cook until soft, around 8 minutes. 
Mince three garlic cloves; chop 4 teaspoons of fresh rosemary; and seed and mince 1-2 Serrano chiles.
Add garlic, rosemary, chiles, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.  Cook until fragrant, 2 minutes, and season with salt.
Add turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through.
The recipe calls for a 15 oz can of cannellini beans, I doubled that for more protein.
Add broth and beans and bring to a boil over high.  
Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chili is thickened slightly, around 25 minutes.
Stir in cornmeal and cook for another 15 minutes.  Season to taste with salt.
I cut some scallions and served on top of the chili, you could also add sour cream or radishes.  I really enjoyed the peppers in the chili they added some heat.  This dish is incredibly tasty and healthy!  Take some time next weekend, turn on some music and make this chili, you'll thank me later :)

Make sure you stop by tomorrow - it's my 200th post and I have a surprise for all of you!

Turkey & White Bean Chili
Serves 6
Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 Serrano chiles, seeded and minced
4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound white meat turkey
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can 15oz cannellini beans *I used 2 cans
3 tablespoons cornmeal

In a large pot heat oil over medium high heat.
Add onion, cook until softened.
Add garlic, chiles, rosemary, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. 
Cook until fragrant, around two minutes, and season with salt.
Add turkey and cook breaking up meat with a large wooden spoon.
When meat is cooked through, add broth and beans.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chili is thickened slightly, around 25 minutes.
Stir in cornmeal and cook for another 15 minutes, season to taste with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment