Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mushroom Quinoa

I’m not sure if it’s just the blogs I’ve been reading lately, or if it’s a trend.. but it seems everyone is going vegetarian.  I respect your decision, but politely can’t see this lifestyle for myself.  I like me some meat.  In my eyes a meal isn’t complete without some kind of meat; be it chicken, steak, pork, turkey.  I need some of it to be fulfilled.  I give vegetarians a lot of credit however, because of their ability to be creative in their meals due to not having meat as an ingredient.  I found this recipe and thought it sounded tasty, even without meat.  I found myself staring at a chicken breast in my fridge just as I was about to start cooking though and gave in.  Sorry vegetarians, I had to.  It was organic chicken breast, that counts for something right?
Begin by washing the quinoa.  Drain well and set aside.  In a medium skillet add olive oil and soften onion until beginning to look transparent.
Add garlic and saffron and cook for a few minutes.
I bought a mix of mushrooms for this dish from Whole Foods.  I grabbed things I had never heard of because I thought it might add more flavor, and I was right.  Pick up whatever you’re comfortable with, but I would try something new if you’re up for it, it’s a great dish to try some new flavors with.
Add mushrooms and cook over high heat.  Cook until the liquid evaporates. 
Incorporate the white wine, then mix in the quinoa.  Reduce heat to medium and let the wine evaporate.
Heat the chicken stock.  When the quinoa has absorbed the wine, add the stock one cup at a time.  Move the quinoa around with a wooden spoon several times after adding the stock.
Here is where I made the cardinal sin and added the chicken.  I simply cooked one chicken breast in water on the stove until cooked through.  Cut up into bite size pieces and added it to the quinoa mixture.
When you enter the last cup of stock, don’t let it absorb completely and add the Parmesan cheese and butter.  Mix well, stirring constantly.  Cover the pan and turn off the heat.  Let stand for around five minutes, and then serve.
This is a great meal, with or without chicken.  The mushrooms and saffron add a bunch of flavor, and the crunch of quinoa makes it kind of fun to eat!  I’m again surprised by how fast quinoa fills you up, not only is it good for you, but you don’t have to eat a ton to be full.  Two birds, one stone.. works for me!

Mushroom Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon saffron
¼ cup white wine
1 cup quartered mushrooms
1 cup chopped shitaques
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cooked chicken breast *optional

Wash quinoa several times until clean.
Drain well and set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat add olive oil and onions and cook until they’re soft.
Add garlic and saffron and cook for a few minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat until the liquid evaporates.
Pour in the white wine and quinoa and mix well.
Reduce heat to medium low and let the wine evaporate.
Heat the chicken stock.
When the quinoa has absorbed all the wine, add the stock one cup at a time.
Stir with a wooden spoon after adding the stock.
When you enter the last cup of stock, don’t let it absorb completely and add the Parmesan cheese and butter.
Mix well, stirring constantly.
Cover the pan, turn off the heat and let stand for around five minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this-- I really like quinoa and this is a great way to change it up. I've never had saffron, but it would be something to try...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete