Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mint Rice Krispies

For Halloween I had this great idea to make candy corn rice krispy treats...only they never happened.  So, I've had around 6 bags of marshmallows in my kitchen since then.  I figured I could make the treats a bit Christmas-y and adding chocolate and mint sounded perfect to me.
Melt butter and marshmallows together in a large pan on the stove.  Cook at low heat until the marshmallows are completely melted.
Add the rice krispies and stir until well combined.  Press the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish that's been coated with butter or non-stick spray.
While the bars cool make the chocolate mixture.  Heat semi-sweet chocolate over medium low heat until melted.
I bought these mint M&M's and thought they would be a perfect topping.  I smashed them up into small pieces.
I added around 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the chocolate and also 1 teaspoon of mint extract.  Stir until well incorporated.
Cut the rice krispies into squares, and place over a rack.  Drizzle the chocolate over each square.
Then top with the crushed M&M's.
I love rice krispies, and this additional twist is awesome.  I loved the hint of mint and chocolate addition.  Plus they're super cute and festive!  

Mint Rice Krispies
Makes ~20 squares

3 tablespoons of butter
4 cups marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispy cereal
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon mint extract
Mint M&M's, smashed

On low heat melt butter and marshmallows together in a large pan until completed melted together.
Add the rice krispies and stir until well combined.  
Press the mixture in a 9x13 inch baking dish that's been coated with butter or non-stick spray.
Let sit and cool.
Heat semi-sweet chocolate over medium low heat until melted.
Add the heavy cream and mint extract until well incorporated.
Cut the rice cripies into squares, and place over a rack.  
Drizzle the chocolate over each square.
Then top with the crushed M&M's.
Eat up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment