Monday, September 12, 2011

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

  My Mom likes to send me things in the mail that she would like to throw away, but I think feels too guilty to do so.  Most times it's something I'll never use and have no need for, but every once and a while she sends me something awesome.  In this case she sent me a cook book with a collection of recipes from everyone in the town I grew up in.  There are some great ideas in the cook book - enter cinnamon coffee cake.
In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together.
Add the butter and combine well.  Separate 3/4 cup of this mixture and keep for the topping.
Add the baking soda, vanilla, eggs, salt and buttermilk and beat until combined, without over beating.
Pour in a greased bread loaf pan.
Sprinkle with the topping you reserved at the beginning of the recipe.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
This was the first thing I made in my new apartment. I made it for breakfast on my first official morning and it was the best way to break in my new kitchen.  The crumbles on top are the best addition, and gives the cake some crunch.  The cinnamon flavor is prominent and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling as you eat it.  Enjoy!

Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Adapted from: The Best of Bessemer cook book

3 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk *I used skim milk

In a large bowl mix flour, sugars and cinnamon together.
Add the butter and mix until combined.
Save 3/4 cup of the mixture for the topping.
Add the remaining ingredients and beat together.
Pour into a greased bread loaf pan and sprinkle with the topping.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. OOhhh yummy. I just made Fall Harvest muffins last night (a recipe from the Daily Globe) and they had that yummy crumbly topping as well!

    ReplyDelete