Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kale Salad w/ Pomegranate Seeds

The last couple of weeks I've been on a special diet - mainly because I was having some allergic reactions but wasn't sure what was causing it.  The diet doesn't allow any processed food essentially.  No meat, bread, dairy, coffee, drinking..yeah, it's been a blast.  As I start introducing more foods into my diet, I think I've concluded that I'm allergic to dairy - which will make things interesting seeing as much as I love cheese and any dessert with cream in it, but one step at a time.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy some of the meals though. I thought I would share a couple with you, starting with this kale salad. 
Start with a bunch of kale.  If you've never tried kale, you really must.  It's a great substitute for lettuce, it's great for you and fills you up easily.  Rub 1 bunch of kale with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger.
I did this in a large bowl, and that worked best. 
Chop two tablespoons of red onion.
I used a half of a pomegranate, but you could easily use the whole one.  Pomegranate seeds are what makes this salad so tasty!
Combine the pomegranate seeds and the chopped onions.  One of my favorite blogs "The Italian Dish" had a post about how to deseed a pomegranate, if you need some help please click here to get step by step instructions.
Add the onions and pomegranate seeds on top of the kale.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  You can also add toasted walnuts on top. This is a tasty dish and great for you.  177 calories, with 5 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.  Your body will love you after this salad!

Kale Salad w/ Pomegranate Seeds
Serves 4
Adapted from Whole Living Magazine

1 bunch of kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1/4 chopped toasted walnuts
course salt and pepper

Rub 1 bunch of kale with olive oil, lime juice, and ginger.
Toss and set aside.
Add 1/2 pomegranate seeds, red onions and walnuts and toss.
Season with salt and pepper. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment