Monday, August 13, 2012

Chorizo Breakfast Burritos

As most of you know, I lived in Texas for a few years before recently moving to Arizona.  Before Texas I was a Midwest girl through and through and hadn't had much experience living elsewhere.  I'm rambling to make this story make me sound less ridiculous, but I'll get the point.  One of the first breakfasts I had when we went out to eat in Dallas was a breakfast burrito with chorizo.  I had heard of chorizo but had never really cooked with it, nor had I tried it in eggs, and it was delicious!  I went to work the next week and told way too many people about my "new discovery."  Finally one person interrupted me and said something to the fact that I must be joking, EVERYONE knows chorizo is awesome with eggs.  Oh.  My bad.  Nevertheless I am so happy I came upon this idea, even if it was way later in life than most people.  These burritos combine all kinds of great things, and most importantly eggs and chorizo. 
This part of the recipe was a bit of a mistake.  When I had made these before I bought chorizo in more of a sausage form, and broiled it in water and then cut it up.  This was more of a sauce, but it worked.  Heat in a large skillet over medium high heat until cooked through, drain then set aside.
Next came the eggs, scramble with salt and pepper.  I was making these on the summer vacation and cooking for around 16, so my portions are pretty large.  I would count on two eggs per person.
Baby girl V helping with the eggs.  Little foodie in the making, I love it!
Once the eggs are almost completely cooked, add the chorizo and stir to combine on the stove.
Then add in salsa.  I used mild but you can use whatever you like.  If you want to be really hardcore, make your own.. all will be tasty!  You can add shredded cheese as well.
Finally roll the egg mixture into a burrito and enjoy!  I liked that I brought a little southern cooking up to Michigan to share with everyone.  This is a great breakfast for a large group of people and one that everyone is sure to enjoy.

Happy Monday, see you back here tomorrow! 

Chorizo Breakfast Burrito
Serves 4

8 eggs
4 burritos
1/2  cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 cup chorizo
salt and pepper to taste

Cook chorizo in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Drain any fluid out of the pan and set aside.
Scramble all of the eggs together with salt and pepper to taste.
While still cooking over medium add chorizo into the eggs when almost completely cooked.
Add salsa and shredded cheese.
Roll into the burrito.
Serve with additional cheese on top if you choose.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment