Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Arboretum

I had a couple friends visiting from Milwaukee this weekend, and we had the chance to go to the Dallas Arboretum.  It was a perfect day to walk around; the sun was out, and it was just warm enough that we were comfortable, but not sweating :)  I'm going to share a couple of my favorite pictures today, and a few later this week.  
I've also been reading a very interesting book called "The Secret History," by Donna Tartt.  I thought along with the pictures I would share one of my favorite quotes from the book. 
"Why do people want to lose themselves in the first place?  Why does that obstinate little voice in our heads torment us so?  Could it be because it reminds us that we are alive, of our mortality, or our individual souls - which, after all, we are too afraid to surrender but yet make us feel more miserable than any other thing?  Isn't it also pain that often makes us most aware of self?"
 "Its a terrible thing to learn as a child that one is separate from all the world, that no one and no thing hurts along with one's burned tongues and skinned knees, that one's aches and pains are all one's own.  Even more terrible, as we grow older, to learn that no person, no matter how beloved, can ever truly understand us.  Our own selves make us most unhappy and that's why we are so anxious to lose them."

No comments:

Post a Comment