Monday, March 21, 2011

BBQ Pizza with Shredded Chicken

This is the perfect dinner for a lazy Monday night.  I've posted something similar, see post here , but this time I changed things up a bit.  I used BBQ sauce instead of pasta sauce, and used shredded chicken that I had leftover from the chicken taqutios I posted about last week.  I think out of every day of the week I am the most lazy on Monday's, so the fact that this takes a total of 20 minutes to make, fits right in!
Begin by cutting up all of your veggies.  The great thing about pizza is you can add whatever you like, or whatever you have in the house.  I used about 2 cups of green and red peppers, 1/2 cup tomatoes, a cup of onion and around three minced garlic cloves. 
I usually use the 8 inch mini crusts, but I wanted to try out the whole wheat crust and the store only had the 12 inch whole wheat, so I went with that.  I must admit, I couldn't tell the difference between the regular crust and the whole wheat, both were delicious.  I'm for sure going to stick with the whole wheat going forward.  I love when something is healthy for you and tastes just as good as the not so healthy version.  I used around a cup of BBQ sauce, I don't like a lot of sauce, so feel free to add more if you like!
Layer all your veggies and your shredded chicken on top of the BBQ sauce.  If you need to know how to get cook and shred the chicken please take a look at how I cooked the chicken at the bottom of this recipe.
Then comes the cheese!  I used a combination of low fat Colby jack cheese and quarto fromage, around 3/4 cup of each.  Add pepper on top if you choose.  Place on a pizza pan and cook at 350 degrees F for around 12-15 minutes. 
This was a great alternative to your normal pizza.  The BBQ sauce and shredded chicken go great together.  It's messy to eat, which is exactly how it should be in my opinion. 
Hope your Monday goes by fast!

BBQ Pizza with Shredded Chicken
1 12" Boboli whole wheat pizza crust
1 cup BBQ sauce *add more if you like
1 cup shredded chicken
2 cups of red and green diced peppers
1/2 cup tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup onions
1 1/2 cups of cheese *I did half Colby jack and half quarto fromage
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Dice all veggies into bite size pieces.
Spread BBQ sauce over the pizza crust.
Layer your veggies and shredded chicken on top of BBQ sauce.
Add cheese and pepper to taste.
Cook for around 12-15 minutes.
Slice and eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment