Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweet Salmon with Pineapple

Pineapple has this affect on me; I'll call it "I think I'm on vacation, and that I should be sitting by a pool."  It reminds me of vacations with my family, where I was allowed to drink virgin pina coladas with huge slices of pineapple until I burst.  Although this recipe can't even start to measure up to all that, it still was great.   Even worth the whole pineapple I bought (despite needing maybe a third of it) and the interesting time I had slicing it up.  First time is always the most fun!
Don't let this pretty fruit fool you, it's difficult to peel, core... whatever the technical terms are for getting the good stuff out.  You definitely don't need a full pineapple for the recipe, but if you like to eat the fruit for lunch and daydream about being on vacation, be my guest!
Slice the pineapple up into bite size pieces.
Cook rice according to directions; I used brown rice, but you can use whatever you like best.  Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir together maple syrup and cayenne pepper. 
I love salmon, I think it's my favorite kind of fish.  It tastes great cooked so many different ways, and never leaves the icky fish smell in my apartment.  It's the little things!  Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to your taste.
Spray a baking sheet or dish with cooking spray, arrange salmon and pineapple in a single layer in the pan.  Brush with half of the maple syrup glaze.  With the rack in the top position, broil until the salmon is cooked through, around 8-11 minutes.  Brush the salmon and pineapple with remaining glaze half way through. 
Serve rice with salmon, pineapple and lime wedges, if desired.  This is a very flavorful dish, the maple syrup glaze makes a sugary crust on top of the salmon, and the cooked pineapple is the prefect addition.  If you want it more spicy than sweet, simply add more cayenne, I liked it just how it was though!  What makes this even better is this is only around 400 calories, depending what kind of rice you use. 

Hope everyone is getting through their Monday.  I don't know about you, but Spring forward kicked my butt this morning.  Around 6pm I will be liking it, but right now it seems like it's too early for me to be functioning! 

Sweet Salmon with Pineapple
*serves 4, I cut in half
1 cup long-grain white rice, or brown rice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 pound skinless salmon fillet
coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
nonstick cooking spray
1/2 of a whole pineapple, cut into bite size pieces
lime wedges *optional

Heat broiler with rack in the top position.
Cook rice according to package instructions.
In a small bowl stir together maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
Season salmon with salt and pepper.
Spray a baking pan/dish with nonstick spray.
Arrange salmon and pineapple in a single layer in pan.
Brush with half of the maple syrup glaze.
Broil until salmon is cooked through, around 8-11 minutes.
Halfway through cooking, brush with remaining glaze.
Serve rice with salmon, pineapple and lime wedges. 


2 comments:

  1. This really is different and it sounds delicious. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, so glad you stopped by and enjoyed the site. I'm still a beginner, so hopefully you'll see progress as you keep coming back :) Have a great day, thanks for the note!

    ReplyDelete