Monday, March 7, 2011

Smoky Mushroom Stroganoff

Isn't it funny how your pallet changes as you get older?  I used to HATE mushrooms, my Mom eats them like they're candy, and I thought it was so gross.  Then, one magical day, I accidentally had mushrooms on a medium rare steak... and things progressed from there.  Now I will add them to anything, and will usually sneak a couple as I'm cooking.  So, this one is for you Mom - and for those who swear they would never like mushrooms!
Cook noodles in a large pot with salted water.  Drain and keep warm.
  In an extra large skillet cook sliced mushrooms and minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender.  Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.  I used cremini mushrooms, but the next time I make this I'm going to try and use a couple different kinds together.  If you're feeling adventurous try it out, and make sure you let me know how it goes!
For sauce, in a bowl combine sour cream, flour, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  Stir until smooth and well combined.  Then add to skillet.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook while stirring constantly for one more minute.  I also added a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
Add mushrooms to sauce and stir until well combined.
Serve mushroom mixture and sauce over noodles.  Sprinkle with parsley if you wish.
This meal is a great twist on the Italian favorite - normally served with beef.  The creamy sauce and mushroom taste dominate, and it's delicious.  The whole meal maybe took me 20 minutes to make, so it's a great week night dinner.  C, who normally isn't a huge fan of mushrooms, seemed like this dish - if he was being honest with me that is! :)  I try not to judge him on this mushroom opinion; you never know, he might grow to love them just like I did.  

Smoky Mushroom Strognoff
1 8oz package dried pappardelle noodles (or whatever pasta you have in the house)
1 1/2 lb package sliced mushrooms (cremini, button, and/or shittake)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 8oz package light sour cream
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablepsoons Parmesan cheese *optional
fresh parsley *optional

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and keep warm.
In a large skillet cook mushrooms and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
Cook for 5-8 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
For sauce, in a bowl combine sour cream, flour, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. 
Stir together until smooth, then add to skillet.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
Cook and stir constantly for one minute more, then add mushrooms to the sauce.
Serve mixture over noodles and sprinkle with parsley.






No comments:

Post a Comment