Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Heath Bar Cookies

Confession:  I made these to bring down to C's parents so we'd have a treat for the weekend, and I think I ended up eating 50% of them.  Oops.  They were so good, I just couldn't help myself.  I was nervous they were going to come out too crispy, and the first batch was a little hard; but I found if I cooked them a little less, they came out perfectly.  It's your preference on how you like your cookies, but I like mine soft and chewy!
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.  Set aside.  Then in a large bowl (or a electric stand mixer) beat together butter and sugar.  Make sure the butter if soft!!! 
Beat the eggs and vanilla into the mixture until it's light in color and creamy. 
Interruption from your normal programming to discuss this vanilla.  I bought it a couple weeks ago from Central Market, and will probably never go back to using any other kind of vanilla.  It's more of a gel instead of a liquid, and it is jam packed with great taste.
The other awesome thing is it still has grains from the vanilla bean in the mixture.  I know this sounds odd, but the smell and look of it is very comforting.  I think it has made normally great recipes even better.
Now back to regular scheduled program.  Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. 
Once the flour is about halfway combined with the sugar mixture, add the health bits and mix until everything is well combined. 
Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes to an hour.  I chilled mine for exactly 30 minutes, and when the timer went off, then I started preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
On cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, scoop the cookie dough into one inch balls.  Place at least two inches apart on the sheets, as they'll spread.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, I did mine for around 9-10.  The edges will start to turn brown, that's when they're finished cooking. 
Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, this will make them easier to transfer off too. Remove from the baking sheets and let cool completely on a wire rack.
If you enjoy heath you will love these cookies, and like I said I was really happy I was able to keep them soft since they are kind of thin once they're baked.  They also travel very well and don't fall apart, another bonus!  Happy Wednesday :)

Heath Bar Cookies
*makes about 4 dozen cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped Heath Bar pieces *I used one 8oz package of heath toffee bits

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla and mix until the mixture is light in color and creamy.
Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
Once the flour is about half way combined, add your health bits and mix until all are mixed together well.
Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
On cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, scoop once inch balls of the dough, place two inches apart on the cookie sheet.
Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending how crisp you want them, or until the edges are just starting to turn brown.
Remove from the oven and let cookies cool for a few minutes on baking sheet.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. 
 

1 comment:

  1. These were great. It was a real treat to have home-made cookies. I had to discipline myself or I would have eaten the entire batch.
    - C's Dad

    ReplyDelete