Thursday, April 7, 2011

Flour-less Peanut Butter Cookies

I know that it's hard to believe these cookies have no flour in them, but it's true.  I was skeptical, which is why I tried out the idea in the first place, but it worked, and the cookies came out soft and tasty.  Due to the fact that there's no flour, the peanut butter flavor is very prominent.  Worked great for me because I love peanut butter!
Recently I've been using the "Natural Jif" as opposed to the regular Jif peanut butter.  I actually like it better, it's soft and creamier.  Perfect for these cookies.
In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and peanut butter.  I used a spatula, and found it was pretty easy to do by hand.
Mix in the baking powder and egg until well combined.
Form small balls of dough, and roll in extra sugar until evenly coated.
Place evenly on a baking sheet and flatten slightly with a fork.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, I cooked mine for around nine minutes.  Cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.  The cookies will be very thin and fragile, so make sure you give them time to cool and harden before attempting to move them. 
Flour or no flour, peanut butter is always awesome in a cookie, and these were especially great.  The other plus is the fact that you only need four ingredients!  It takes roughly 30 minutes to make the dough and bake them, perfect week night cookie.  I attempted to melt some chocolate chips together to drizzle on top, but left it on the stove a little too long aka Modern Family was on TV and was distracting me!  Next time I guess, no one that was eating them seemed to notice what was missing :)
Enjoy!

Flour-less Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter *I used natural creamy, but chunky would be good too
2/3 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
chocolate, for drizzling *optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, mix together peanut butter and sugar.
Mixing together with a spatula by hand works the easiest.
Mix in baking powder and egg until evenly combined.
Form small balls with the dough and roll in extra sugar.
Place evenly on a baking sheet, and flatten slightly with a fork.
Bake for 10-12 minutes (9 if you like them a little undercooked like me)
Cool on baking sheet for around 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Drizzle with chocolate if desired.


3 comments:

  1. These look so good! Peanut butter cookies are my favorite, but I've never tried making them without flour. I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these last night and they were delicious! Loved the ease of the recipe. And rather than drizzle chocolate over the top I mixed chocolate chips right into the batter and it worked out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, besides the peanut butter, these cookies are amazing because they're super easy! Adding chocolate chips is a great idea, next time I'll try that. Glad you stopped by, hope you continue to read and try my recipes!

    ReplyDelete