Monday, April 11, 2011

Grilled Pineapple & Chicken Quesadillas

This is great for a quick week night meal.  Some of the ingredients you wouldn't think to pair together, but they all go great with each other!  Plus, who doesn't like quesadillas?!  No matter what other things you put in them, the main ingredients are cheese and soft tortillas, you can't argue with that one.
Start by grilling three chicken breasts and cut into bite size pieces.  I cooked my chicken in the oven, and it worked out perfectly!
I chopped up around two cups of fresh pineapple, placed them on skewers, and put them on the grill for around five minutes.  This was something I had never tried, and was pretty impressed.  They tasted great, and I wanted to eat them all up before I even had the chance to add them to the quesadillas.  I will be trying this again for sure.
Also slice one whole Jalapeno.  I took out the seeds so it wouldn't be as spicy. 
Warm a griddle or large pan over medium heat, and add butter to the pan.  Slightly warm and toast tortillas on both sides.
To assemble start by sprinkling four of the tortillas with cheese.
Then add chicken, pineapple, Jalapeno and BBQ sauce. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. The recipe also calls for 1/2 cup of corn, which I thought I had but really it was creamed corn, so I just skipped that!  Then add second browned tortilla on top of each one - to have four complete quesadillas.  Add to the oven to warm.  When cheese is melted remove from oven and cut into wedges.
Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, guacamole, or all of the above.  I made homemade guac and served with that.  These quesdillas were the perfect mix of sweet and spicy, the peppers weren't overpowering and the pineapple tasted awesome with the chicken and BBQ sauce.  Enjoy!

Quick update on my birthday trip - although I'll have a couple posts about it (and the AMAZING food), it was a great time.  I loved spending time in a new city with an old friend.  Today's a little rough, I feel like I need to take a long nap!  If anyone needs recommendations on places to eat and things to see please let me know, I'd love to share my experiences :)

Grilled Pineapple & Chicken Quesadillas
8 whole wheat flour tortillas
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups grilled pineapple, chopped
3 grilled chicken breasts, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups cheese, grated *I used low fat Colby Jack
1/2 cup corn
1 whole Jalapeno, sliced
3 tablespoons barbecue sauce

Warm a griddle or pan over medium heat and add butter to pan.
Slightly warm and toast tortillas on both sides, remove and set aside.
To assemble, sprinkle four of the tortillas with grated cheese.
Arrange chicken slices evenly.
Add Jalapeno and pineapple slices.
Sprinkle with corn, salt and pepper.
Drizzle with BBQ sauce. 
Add second browned tortilla on top of each one.
Add to oven to warm, until cheese is melted.
Cut into wedges and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment