Friday, May 27, 2011

Fresh Tomato Sauce

As I said in this post a couple days ago, I had a lot of fresh tomatoes and wasn't sure what to do with them.  I knew I wouldn't eat that many salads by the time they had gone bad, so I used the wonderful world of twitter to see if anyone had any great ideas.  Traci (find her on twitter @heytrace) had a great recipe for fresh tomato sauce. Not a lot of ingredients, and wouldn't take long to make, so I thought it was perfect.  We both agree once you taste this sauce it will be very difficult to go back to canned store bought tomato sauce.
I had five tomatoes, but one took a fall on the way into my apartment, so I only used four, but that was plenty.  It turned out to be around three cups, and I had around 4-5 servings. 
Now, to all you stress-cases out there that are looking for an avenue to get some relief, this recipe will help.  Put your wine/beer down and smash up tomatoes with your hands, it's fun, messy, and sort of liberating.
Little messy, like I said, but totally worth it.  This was a really FUN recipe to make, because you get to get down and dirty!  I cut the tomatoes into four pieces and then squished them with my hands into a large pan that was coated with EVOO on the stove.
Then I added around three cloves of garlic minced to the sauce.
Plus a couple teaspoons of oregano, and some salt - to your taste.
Then simply let the sauce simmer for around 30 minutes. 
Ahh perfection!  I made whole wheat pasta to go with the sauce and added a little Parmesan on top, and it was so tasty!  It's light but full of flavor, and tastes so fresh.  I felt awesome after eating this.  Full, but not "ick" full.  Because it's a healthy dinner you feel great after eating it. 
I hope everyone enjoys their long weekend!  Talk to you next week :)

Fresh Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Traci @heytrace
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
~4 tomatoes, squashed up around 3 cups
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons salt

Squash up the tomatoes with your hands.
In a large pan on the stove heat the EVOO, then add the tomatoes.
Add the garlic, oregano and salt and stir to combine well.
Simmer for around 30 minutes.
Serve hot over pasta, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely simple sauce and definitely squashing tomatoes with the other ingredients really improve the flavour of a sauce!

    ReplyDelete