Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kathleen's Sky Diner Review

I have been dying to try Kathleen's Sky Diner on Lovers Lane since I first drove by it many months ago.  In case you didn't know, the best movie theatre in Dallas is located just a couple blocks down in Lovers called Inwood Theatre.  It's an old  theatre that's been re-done, but still kept it's charm.  The best thing is what they call the "screening room," which is a theatre with a huge screen, and most importantly - Love Sac couches to sit on.  If you've never sat in one you're missing out, you can check out their website here but it doesn't do them justice, it's like sitting on the most comfortable bed to watch a movie.  Kathleen's Sky Diner and Inwood Theatre are a great dinner and a movie night, which is exactly what we did!
We started with the spicy shrimp.  It was amazing, and not something I expected to see on the menu.  The portions were very large too, we couldn't eat the whole appetizer and our meals, so we took some leftovers.
We each ordered a pasta dish, and C was very excited that you got your own cheese and spicy peppers to add as you like.  He likes to add a lot (understatement) to his meal, so when the waiter/waitress does it, he always says it's never as much as he would like.  Points for letting us add at our leisure!
They have a special ravioli every day, C ordered the mushroom stuffed ravioli.  You could tell they were hand made because they were all shaped a little different, which is a good sign!  The sauce was a buttery light sauce, and it had a lot of fresh veggies in it.  Beautiful dish, and very tasty.
I ordered the pasta bolognese, not nearly as light as C's meal, oops.  It was so good!!!  The pasta again, seemed homemade.  It was very tender and the sauce was amazing.  Different than a regular bolognese as it was more cheesy, but it was very filling and tasted great.  I could only eat around half of it, mainly because I was saving room for dessert.
If you like cheesecake and red velvet cake, this is your dessert.  I think it was a good compromise as C really likes cheesecake and I really like red velvet cake.  It was very creamy and the frosting was great.
Overall, I thought the sky diner was awesome.  It was a little pricey, but I can't really complain about that because everything I ordered I really enjoyed.  For some reason their website isn't working right now, so I'll link you to their yelp reviews by clicking here.


Rating: 4

3 comments:

  1. I heart Kathleen's Sky Diner. I haven't been to Inwood Theatre in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy - it's such a great place! Plus, you can bring in beer and wine to drink while watching the movie. Anytime you want to go I'm always looking for an excuse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching for things to do in Dallas lately and you have completely inspired me to do a dinner and movie date. I've never been to Inwood Theatre but I've always wanted to go. The red velvet cheesecake at Kathleen's Sky Diner looks amazing! I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete