Monday, May 16, 2011

Sometimes You Gotta Stick With What You Know

How did everyone like the guest post from Nelly over at Cooking with Books?  She's a great writer and her pictures look fabulous.  Thank you Nelly for helping me out, hopefully we'll be doing more of this going forward!
I'm sure we all have that one dinner or dessert that's our "go-to" in any situation.  Weather it be a rough day at work and didn't feel like cooking something new, didn't have time to go to the store, want something simple to eat without having to follow a recipe, or left most of the food needed for the meal at your boyfriends house.  This happened to me last week, and as I was looking through my cupboards I realized I had the ingredients to make the first dinner I ever really mastered - shake and bake chicken with potatoes and veggies.  Yes I know, very complex, but you have to start somewhere right?  It was a nice unplanned meal; simple, easy and tasted great, as usual!
I began with two chicken breasts, and tossed them in a bag with Shake N Bake.  I tried a new kind out this time, I usually go for just the original kind, instead I tried the Shake N bake "Hot N Spicy."  I really liked it, gave it an extra kick.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and bake the chicken for around 25 minutes. Depending on how thick your chicken is, you might have to cook for longer.  I usually slice one open in the middle to make sure they're done.
I steamed some fresh green beans.  They tasted awesome!  Nothing beats really fresh veggies :)
In a pot full of water I cooked red potatoes to go with the chicken.  I really like these potatoes, I only have to add a little butter on top when they're finished cooking, and they're full of flavor.
The perfect simple meal!  Tastes great, hardly any prep, and no stress.  Sometimes sticking with what you know pays off.  I'll put a very rough recipe below, but it's really how ever you want to bake the chicken, and whatever veggies you want.  Happy Monday.

The First Super
Adapted from: my mother :)
Makes dinner for 2
2 chicken breasts
Shake N Bake seasoning, whatever kind you like
10 small red potatoes
2 handfuls of green beans (approximately)
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Shake the chicken in a bag with the Shake N Bake seasoning.
Place on a baking pan, sprayed with non-stick.  I use foil too for easier clean up.
Cook chicken for around 25 minutes, until cooked thoroughly.
In a pot of water cook potatoes for around 20 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
Drain and add a little butter to coat the potatoes.
Steam green beans on the stove until cooked but still crispy.
Put all together and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment