Monday, January 17, 2011

BBQ Chicken Stew

It was kind of a dreary weekend, and the weather has continued into the beginning of the week.  I figured stew would be a great post to match the feeling outside!  This recipe was originally called soup, but after making it myself, I decided stew made more sense.  It wasn't very brothy, (yes, it's a word in my dictionary) to the extent that I actually made a sandwich with the leftovers.  No matter how I ate it though, it was tasty!
Started with heating the EVOO over medium heat, and adding the finely chopped onion.  Is it weird that I like the smell of cooking onions?  Cause I do :)
I've never used chicken breast out of a can, but it turned out really well in the stew.  Once the onions are sauteed, you add minced garlic, corn, and chicken breast. Stir these together well, then add chicken broth, BBQ sauce, and the remaining spices.  I even added a little more than the 1 1/2 cups of broth the recipe calls for.
The BBQ was a nice addition!  It's not the first ingredient that comes to mind when you think stew, but it tasted great.  Once all ingredients are added in, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes and serve.  You can garnish with fresh cilantro, I used a little parsley because it's what I had in the house.
I had enough for two bowls of the stew, and leftovers to make around three sandwiches.  I made the one above, as well as an open faced with wheat bread for lunch.  I drained the broth out a little, but like I said before, there wasn't much to drain.  This was great as a stew, and as a sandwich!

BBQ Chicken Stew
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 11oz can of corn with peppers, drained
2 12oz cans Swanson's chicken, drained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped *optional

Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
When hot, add onions, and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft.
Stir in garlic, corn, and chicken breast; mix well.
Pour in chicken broth, BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and cilantro. 
Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until ready to serve. 
Garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment