Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turkey and Saffron Rice

In an effort to cook healthier, I've been cooking with turkey more often.  I've tried a couple recipes that call for ground turkey, but also substituted turkey instead of beef, and found that it tastes just as good, if not better.  I got this recipe on one of the blogs I read, Picky Palate. Serving size is 12, so I cut it in half, and still had a ton leftover!
I used brown rice instead of basmati rice, not sure how different the taste was, but I thought brown rice worked well.  Plus it's what I had in the pantry :)
Begin by heating oil in a large pan/pot/dutch oven.  Saute onions until they're soft, and then add garlic. I added the whole 2 tablespoons (if not more) of garlic, despite cutting the other ingredients in half; you can never have too much garlic!  Add turkey, salt and pepper and cook until cooked through. 
Stir in beans, rice, tomato sauce, and the other spices.  Stir until well combined.  Make sure you give yourself a quick taste, if you feel the need to add more spices please do so!  I was pumped to use the new deep skillet that I got for Christmas.  I've found myself looking for recipes that I can cook in my skillet.  It's very heavy, and not cheap to ship from Michigan (where I spent Christmas) to Texas, but well worth it.
Reduce heat until low until you're ready to serve.  I let it sit for a few minutes to let all the spices absorb, then plated it up!
The "red strings," not sure how else to describe them, on top are Spanish Saffron threads.  They're very full of flavor, and I think really make the dish.  Unfortunately they are a little costly.  I choked a little when they rang up at the check out, but swallowed hoping it would be worth it, and it was.  I researched a little to find a cheaper substitute for those who don't want to go all out, and it looks like turmeric is the next best thing.  You might have to use a greater amount of turmeric to get a similar taste to saffron, but your walle will thank you.
I had a decent amount leftover, despite cutting the recipe in half.  It's great for lunch leftovers, throw some in the microwave and vuala!

Turkey and Saffron Rice
2 cups uncooked basmati rice (I used brown rice)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lb turkey breast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 15oz cans green beans, drained
8oz tomato sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1 heaping tablespoon Spanish saffron threads (or turmeric)

Cook rice according to package directions.
Heat oil in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
Saute onions for 5 minutes or until translucent and soft.
Stir in garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
Add turkey, salt, pepper and cook until cooked through.
Stir in green beans, rice, tomato sauce, cumin, paprika, garlic salt, and saffron threads. 
Stir until well combined, taste and season to your liking.
Reduce heat to low until ready to serve.
Garnish with saffron threads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment