Wednesday, January 12, 2011

French Dip Sandwich Au Jus

I really like saying "au jus." It sounds so fancy.  Using my best friend, google, I wanted to share with you the true meaning of au jus!  It's French, meaning with juice, and that the item will be served with it's own natural juices.  That is exactly what this recipe is.
Crock pots are awesome, so little work, and everything comes out full of flavor.  I cut this recipe in half, except for the veggies. Once I got out the 3 pounds of meat I realized I might be going a little overboard.  Start with lining the bottom of the crock pot with sliced onions.
Yes, believe it or not, that was half! I added all ingredients (except cheese and rolls) in with the onions, salt and peppered the roast, and placed on top.
I cooked for around 5 hours on low.  Since I wasn't cooking the full amount of meat, I didn't want it to dry out.
I really like that I was able to shred this myself, it didn't fall off the bone in the crock pot. I'm very picky about meat, I don't like fat at all.  For example: I get a filet, and cut off a slice around the entire filet.  I realize the point of a filet is no fat, but I'm paranoid.  Anyway!  Taking the chuck roast out and shredding using a fork, allowed me to pick out any pieces that were fatty. 
After putting the meat back into the crock pot shredded, I cut the buns and put them in the oven for a few minutes.  I didn't let the meat cook for much longer, even though the recipe says for about another hour.  I put it on the "keep warm" setting, and left it for about 15 minutes. .
I scooped the meat onto the buns, placed a slice of provolone cheese on top and put back in the oven for about 2 minutes, until the cheese melted. 
Recipe says to strain the juice in a "defatter,"  I didn't do this, because I don't have a defatter :)  The juice was still great though, so if you have the option, both work!
The sandwich turned out great, it was very filling!  I made this for me and C, and I still had one sandwich worth of meat leftover.  The au jus was the perfect dipping sauce for the sandwich, although I must admit it was pretty juicy without!

French Dip Sandwich Au Jus
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
3/4 cup beef broth or stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon creole mustard (I used Dijon)
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
~3 lbs chuck roast (bought 3 pounds, but cut in half)
salt
pepper
6-8 sandwich rolls, cut in half
6-8 slices of provolone cheese

Keep the rounds of the onion intact, place them in the bottom of the crock pot.
Add beef broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and garlic to crock pot.
Salt and pepper both sides of the roast and place on top of the onions. 
Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender.
Transfer roast to a cutting board and shred using two forks. 
Remove the onions and set aside.
Strain the juice using a large defatter to get rid of any oil. (optional)
Return the roast, juice, and onions to crock pot and cook for up to an hour before serving on the "keep warm setting."
Heat the broiler, and place split sandwich rolls on a lined baking sheet to toast for around 1 minute.
Remove the top, scoop the beef onto the bottom of rolls and top with cheese. 
Return to oven until the cheese melts.
Top sandwich with other half, and serve with a small bowl of au jus.

No comments:

Post a Comment