Friday, January 7, 2011

Strawberry Muffins - quick and yummy!

One of my work colleagues gave a great (and cost effective) Christmas gift to me.  It was a jar of dry ingredients for strawberry bread.  It's super easy to make, and I only had to buy one ingredient at the store = awesome! The recipe was for bread, but I decided to make them into muffins, for a couple reasons.  1) I was making them for our "breakfast club" at work, and thought it would be easier for people to just grab a muffin, instead of having to slice bread, and having it break apart etc. 2) I wanted to use my new muffin pan from Sur La Table.  If you're in the Dallas area, I highly reccommend this store, it has great cooking supplies.  Make sure you give yourself a budget before you go in, or maybe that's just me :)

Recipe calls for one 20oz. bag of frozen strawberries.  The bag I bought had whole strawberries, I decide to cut them into fourths so they weren't too big for the muffins.  This worked great, I've never cooked with frozen strawberries before, but I must say the end result tasted pretty good.

I beat the eggs slightly with a fork, then combined the strawberries, eggs, and oil. 
After combing the strawberry mixture with the dry ingredients I was getting pretty excited to try these suckers.  Yum!
And they're off... to the oven that is.  I wasn't sure how long to bake the muffins because the recipe only had a baking time for a loaf pan.  I  guesstimated around 30 minutes, and I was spot on.  I had enough batter for two batches, the second batch I cooked for a little less ~28 minutes.  I like brownies, cookies, muffins to be a little undercooked and soft. 
Ta-Da, they're done!  I must say, this was a really quick recipe and it turned out great.  Everyone at the "breakfast club" was raving.  Plus, I didn't have to take any leftovers home; which, let's be honest, would have been eaten solely by me, so it works out for the best. Recipe is below, enjoy everyone!

Strawberry Bread or Muffins
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon *I added another sprinkle, I like cinnamon :)
1 tsp salt
20oz. frozen strawberries
1 1/4 cup oil
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center.
Beat eggs slightly, and mix all wet ingredients together with strawberries.
Pour strawberry mixture into the dry ingredients.  Stir until the mixture is blended. Mixture will be pretty wet, you can add a little extra flour, if you feel the need.
Spoon batter into 2 large greased loaf pans, or muffin pan. 
Bake loaf for 1 hour, or muffins for around 30 minutes. 
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment