Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chocolate Makes Everything Better

Yesterday kind of kicked my butt.. I'm still recovering today.  I woke up really wishing it was Saturday.  Ok ok, I wish that everyday, but today in particular!  I truly do think that a good dessert can make you feel loads better, and put a smile on your face after a long day.  These brownies will do just the trick!  I found the recipe on the back of my King Arthur flour bag, and since my recent visit to their store I've been dying to try one of their recipes.  I was very impressed, if I do say so myself :)
Start by melting butter in a microwave safe bowl, or in a saucepan over low heat.  Add the sugar to the melted butter and stir to combine.  Return the mixture to the heat, or microwave, just until it's hot, but not bubbling.  It'll become shiny looking as you stir it.  I've never heard of heating the butter again once the sugar was added, but the recipe says this makes a shiny top crust on the brownies, and that proved to be true. Then stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. 
The batter will be a very rich brown color.  Add the eggs beating until smooth.
Add in the flour, and mix until combined.  Then add chocolate chips!
I might have left a little extra in the bowl so I could get at taste.  I have to make sure the batter is good before I let anyone else try the brownies... obviously. 
Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 28-30 minutes, I only left them in for probably 26 minutes.  The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the center.  Remove from the oven and after sitting for five minutes, loosen the edges with a knife.  Cool completely before cutting and serving.  
I sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top for fun, and they turned out so well.  They were warm, and cooked to perfection.  I really enjoyed the top being kind of a crust, it was a great addition to the moist middle of the brownie.  Usually when I bring baked goods into work it takes everyone a couple days to eat the whole plate, these babies were gone by noon. Note to self (and you): make sure if you want to keep some for yourself you hide them! 

What makes you feel better after a long day? 

Best Fudge Brownies Ever
1 cup butter
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups flour - plug for King Arthur flour!
2 cups (12oz bag) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a microwave safe bowl, or in a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
Add sugar and stir to combined.
Return the mixture to heat, or microwave until just hot, but not bubbling.
Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
Add eggs, beating until smooth.
Then add flour and chocolate chips, beating until well combined.
Spoon the batter into a prepared pan.
Bake the brownies for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Brownies should feel set on edges and in the middle.
Remove from the oven, let sit for five minutes, then loosen the edges with table knife.
Cool completely before cutting and serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment