Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Snowed in again, I prepared for the storm this time though.  I went to the store last night to get all kinds of goodies, now I can spend the day away from the office cooking and baking.  Posts to come soon :)
I grew up loving chocolate chip mint ice cream.  Other favorite ice cream flavors came and went, but mint chocolate chip was always a constant.  I saw this recipe that's essentially sugar cookies with a twist; AKA mint extract, green food coloring, and mint chips.  Can you say good idea?!
Start by whisking together sugar and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl.  Whisk in oil, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until combined.  I figured this out as I was making them - this is where you should add 6-8 drops of green food coloring, and the mint extract.  It will spread throughout the mixture easier if you add it before the flour.  
I've been trying to be selective on where I use the homemade vanilla my Mom made for me, but thought these cookies sounded like they were worth it.  I don't want to use it all up because it is so tasty.  It has a stronger bourbon taste to it than other vanilla extracts I've had, and I can really tell a difference when I bake with it.  A little hard to read, but under VANILLA, it says "Made by Mom <3."  Thanks Mom!
Add flour and stir until dough forms.  Then add the 6oz of mint chips, and 6oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  The dough will be very dry and crumbly.  I had a little trouble getting the dough to stick together when I rolled them into balls, if you knead it a little in your hands it will eventually stick together though.  Roll the dough into balls, and place on an ungreased baking sheet.  Flatten balls with a bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, and sprinkle top with a little extra sugar.  Note that the edges of the cookies will crack some, that's supposed to happen.  Bake at 375 degrees F for around 8 minutes per batch, or until the edges look golden.  Transfer to a rack to cool.
Sugar cookies are a little bland for me sometimes, but the addition of the mint and the mint chips was perfect!  The cookie was light and moist, due to the vegetable oil.  This would be a perfect dessert to make for St Patty's Day, if you're a Packer a fan, or if you're a MICHIGAN STATE fan like myself.  Honestly they would be tasty any day for any reason, enjoy! 

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup granulated sugar, plus additional to sprinkle cookies
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
6-8 drops of green food coloring
6oz mint chips
6oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Whisk together sugar and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl.
Whisk in oil, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, and mint extract until combined.
Whisk in green food coloring until mixture is solid green color.
Add flour and stir until dough forms.  It will be dry and crumbly. 
Add the mint chips and chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
Form dough into balls, and place on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake cookies in batches until set but still a little pale, around 8 minutes.  The edges should be a golden brown.
Transfer to a rack to cool.

*Will make approximately 5 dozen cookies. 




No comments:

Post a Comment