Friday, February 25, 2011

You're Sloppy, Joe

Sloppy Joe's might be one of the best and easiest meals ever.  It's what I call my "lazy meal."  I don't have to put in a lot of effort, don't have to follow a recipe, and normally have all the ingredients in my apartment already - no shopping needed.  This time I had a minor hiccup when after I started cooking the meat, I realized I forgot the seasoning packet at C's apartment.  One of the many great things about living between two apartments.  Joking.  Luckily I was able to make do with what I had in the fridge, and I must say it turned out great.  I don't normally post a whole meal, but will this time, as it was super easy!
Cut up 1-2 garlic cloves and put in a large pan over medium heat.  I add garlic to pretty much everything I cook, because I love the taste it adds.  This is optional though, so if you're not a big garlic fan you can skip this.
Add around one pound of ground turkey and cook until cooked through.
Here's where the "oh crap I don't have the seasoning packet, what can I throw in here that will taste good?" came in.  I added one cup of BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, and some cayenne seasoning.
Also added 1/2 cup of quarto fromage cheese.  Figured it couldn't hurt!  It ended up mixing into the meat perfectly.  You can substitute most kinds of cheese here; cheddar or Parmesan, whatever you have around.
When the cheese has melted, scoop meat onto your bun.  I used whole wheat hamburger buns. 
I started the potatoes a couple minutes before the meat.  I cut two potatoes into slices and cooked them in salted water over medium-high heat.
After the potatoes are cooked add butter, garlic salt, your favorite seasoning, and rosemary.
Mix all the ingredients in, the potatoes will start get more of a mashed potatoes consistency.
I also steamed some broccoli for a side dish.  Gotta have a little green in your diet!
The more I use turkey the more I enjoy cooking with it, I really cannot tell a difference between ground turkey and ground beef in the dishes I've made so far.  The added cheese to the meat was awesome.  I didn't add much, but it made the sandwich extra delicious.  The potatoes and broccoli were a great paring.  I'm one of those people who think potatoes go well with everything, because well, they do!  Make sure you have a napkin near by, you might get a little sloppy eating this one :)

I have a good friend that I worked with in Milwaukee, and her sister, here for the weekend.  I'm very excited to spend some time with old friends.  Hope everyone has a great couple days, see you back here on Monday!

Sloppy Joe's with Turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 cup BBQ sauce
salt and pepper *to your taste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup quarto fromage cheese
4 hamburger buns

Cook garlic over medium heat in a large pan.
Add ground turkey, cook until cooked through.
Add BBQ sauce, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. 
Stir until well combined.
Add cheese, and stir in until melted into the meat.
Serve on a hamburger bun.

My favorite Potatoes
2 Yukon potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons Lawry's seasoning salt *or whatever seasoning you like
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons rosemary

Cook potatoes in salted water until cooked through.
Drain water out, and stir in butter, salts and rosemary.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment