Monday, February 14, 2011

Hello Lover

Happy Valentine's Day OR Happy You're Single  Day!  No matter which applies to you, I hope everyone reading has a great day, and feels love somewhere in their lives; whether it be from your significant other, your parents, your pet, or your best friend.  Love actually is all around, as Hugh Grant so intelligently said.  (If you haven't seen Love Actually please go out and rent it.  It's sort of a Christmas movie, but it's good any time of the year, trust me.)
C and I celebrated Valentine's Day on Saturday night because he has class tonight.  We went to a little romantic place in the midtown area of Dallas, live piano player and all.  We enjoyed some surf and turf, and were very impressed with their coffee.  I tried to take some pictures to share with you guys but the lighting was "romantic," aka horrible.  Plus, I started drinking some wine and forgot to take pictures of the appetizer and entree... oops.  I'm chalking it up to a night off from being a food blogger, everyone deserves a night off!
I made these treats to bring into work today, they're called Strawberry Rice Crispies.  I switched up the recipe a bit, since I couldn't find Strawberry marshmallows.  They are a unique rice crispie, and very festive.
Begin by melting butter over low heat in a large pot, and I mean large.  I didn't use a large enough pot, and this makes stirring everything together very difficult.  Go big or go home; or just have sore arms for the next couple days. 
Once the butter has melted, add marshmallows.  Continue to cook over low heat while they melt.  It takes some time, don't turn the heat up to rush things because the marshmallows could burn. 
When most of the marshmallows have melted and they resemble more a of creme with a couple lumps, remove from the heat and add the cereal.
This is where you need to put some muscle into it!
You'll need to chop up 16oz of frozen strawberries.  You can cut them as small as you like, or leave them as full strawberries, whatever your preference.
Sprinkle in the strawberries, and I also added some chocolate chips.  Thought it would give it a strawberry dipped in chocolate taste, and it did!   Stir, stir, stir.  I would recommend not putting all the strawberries and chocolate chips in at the same time.  If you add a little at time it will be more evenly distributed.
Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray, and pour mixture into pan.  My Mom showed me a trick over Christmas, if you wrap Saran wrap over one of your hands, and spray with non-stick, you can use that to press the mixture into the pan very easily and it won't get all over your hands!  Make the surface as flat as you can.  I sprinkled some more chocolate chips on top too.  Cover with foil and let sit for a few hours to firm up.  Cut to whatever size you like, or use a cookie cutter for fun shapes.
I kept them in the fridge afterward to make sure the strawberries didn't get soggy.  It's definitely a little surprise as you taste the fruit texture mixed into the cereal.  I think they are a great Valentine's Day treat.  They're easy and quick to make, and a discussion piece because they're not your normal rice crispie!

In the spirit of today, I'd like to shout out to everyone in my life that loves and supports me.  No matter where you are, I appreciate and love that each and every one of you are in my life.
"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!"
Lucy Van Pelt

Strawberry Rice Crispies
16oz marshmallows *you can also use strawberry marshmallows
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips *optional

Butter a 9x13 inch pan, or spray with non-stick.
Over low heat melt butter in a large pot.
Once butter has melted, add marshmallows. 
Continue to cook over low heat until they melt. 
When most marshmallows have melted, remove from heat, and add cereal.
Using a wooden spoon stir until cereal is fully coated with marshmallows.
Add strawberries and chocolate chips to the mixture, a little at a time.
Pour into prepared pan, and try to create a flat even surface. 
Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top.
Cover with foil and let sit for a few hours to firm up.
Cut and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment