Thursday, June 23, 2011

Basic Desserts from Central Market

As I've stated many times before, one of my favorite places here in Dallas is Central Market.  I could wander around the store for hours and be content.  I also enjoy taking their cooking classes from time to time.  This time instead of a type of cuisine I decided to try the desserts class.  Hey, someone had to go otherwise the chefs would be bored with no students!
We made a couple different things, and the pictures show the steps throughout the process.  This was the start of a baked custard recipe.
We made them in ramekins (cutest thing ever if you don't have any!) and shredded some fresh nutmeg on top before baking them.
I've never seen a whole nutmeg or smelled one, and wow have I been missing out.  It's amazing and so fresh, the next time I am baking something that uses it I'm going to try using a fresh one instead of the jarred.  I'll keep you posted on that!
Baking away!  We worked hard and deserved the desserts when we were finished.
Weird how it was all women.... not.
Fresh (and huge) raspberries for the berry sauce.
For the custard we made a berry sauce and an Anglaise sauce to put on top.
They also showed us how to make designs on the plate by mixing the two.  Makes for a very beautiful presentation.
Besides putting the sauces on the custard, we used them for a bottom sauce for a sponge cake.  Very festive!
We made a ton of recipes, I'm going to share with you the berry sauce, and one other, but that's for tomorrow.  I loved the berry sauce because it was so versatile.  You could use it in so many dishes, and it would taste great in all of them.  Plus it's pretty simple.  We used it to top off the custard and for our sponge cake, but it would be great on top of brownies, ice cream, angel food cake, pancakes, waffles, or even straight out of the jar and into your mouth! 

Berry Sauce
Adapted from Central Market cooking school
3 cups frozen raspberries
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or wine, to taste
2-4 tablespoons of sugar, to taste
3-4 tablespoons super fine sugar*

In a food processor puree all ingredients until smooth.
Pour puree through a fine sieve into a bowl, and chill covered.
Sauce may be made up to two days ahead and chilled and covered. 
Serve over your favorite dish and enjoy!

*To make super fine sugar, take regular sugar and pulse it in a food processor for a few minutes.  That'll make it break down so it's super fine. 

1 comment:

  1. I love love love Central Market's cooking classes! This post sure makes me miss Texas. =)

    ReplyDelete