Monday, June 6, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

How was every one's weekend?  Mine was way too short!  I got a lot done though, so I was pretty proud of myself :)  I thought I would post this buffalo chicken recipe today, because it's a great week night and summer-ish meal.  Plus, you cook it in a slow cooker, so it takes hardly any work.
Begin by adding hot sauce, garlic powder and butter in a crock pot.  I didn't have enough hot sauce so I used a mixture of BBQ sauce and hot sauce, and it worked out great. 
Then add in chicken tenders.  I tossed them in the mixture once, then cooked on low for around four hours.  I put this all together, and then turned it on when I went home for lunch.  It cooked for around 6 hours total by the time I got back from work.  I think it was a little dryer than it should have been, but overall still very good.  I would recommend timing it so it doesn't cook for any longer than 5 hours though. 
The chicken held together pretty well, but was very easy to pull apart once I went to serve it.  Using a fork pull the chicken into small pieces and keep on low until you're ready to serve.
Divide the meat onto rolls and serve with your choice of cheese, pickles, onions, and anything else you like!  I served with cheddar cheese and onions, and it was perfect.  This made around six sandwiches, so I had plenty leftover for dinner the next night.  I served these on homemade spicy hamburger buns - which I'll post about tomorrow.  I loved this recipe, quick and simple and tasted awesome.  I also really enjoyed the leftovers. I'm not a huge leftover person, but this tasted just as good as the day I made it!
Happy Monday everyone!

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Adapted from: What's Cookin' With Mary?
Serving Size: 5-6
1-1 1/4 pounds chicken tenders, rinsed and dried
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce (or combination hot sauce and BBQ sauce)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Sandwich:
1 recipe of buffalo chicken
4 rolls or buns
1/2 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 slices of cheddar cheese

Combine hot sauce, garlic powder and butter in a crock pot.
Add chicken and coat with mixture.
Cook on low for around 4 hours.
When finished cooking, shred chicken and cook on low until ready to serve.
Divide all ingredients amount four rolls and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment