Friday, June 17, 2011

Feta & Zucchini Pasta Salad

Although I like mayo, I don't like mayo-ish, creamy pasta salad.  I lean more toward the pasta salad with olive oil, and that's exactly what this is.  This was meant for my camping trip that I posted about yesterday, but I forgot it in the fridge.  Although it wasn't enjoyed in the great outdoors with a burger, it was still very tasty and refreshing!
A great way to make this even healthier is to use whole wheat pasta, I used whole wheat organic bow ties and they worked awesome.  Cook the pasta until done, drain and set aside until completely cool. 
Add olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.  Toss into the pasta to combine well.
Add the tomatoes.  I sliced grape tomatoes in half so they were more bite size.
Add zucchini, I actually used yellow squash because it's what I had in the house.  I cooked it over the stove in olive oil, let it cool then cut it up and put it into the pasta.
Then comes the best part: feta cheese.  Add more of any of the ingredients if you like, I added extra feta, pepper, lemon juice and some parsley.  Toss well to combine.
Cover in plastic wrap for at least a couple hours, as it's best when it's been chilled.  I kept it in a Tupperware for up to a week and it was still great!  This is the perfect side for a summer party or BBQ. 
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Feta & Zucchini Pasta Salad
Serves as a side for at least 14 people
12 oz bow tie pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil *possibly a little more
1 lemon
salt
black pepper
2 whole zucchini, cooked and cut into small wedges
10 oz grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/3 cup fresh parsley
6 oz crumbled feta cheese, cut into cubes

Cook pasta until done; drain, rinse and set aside until completely cool.
Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Toss to combine.
Add zucchini, tomatoes, feta, parsley and combine well.
Add more of any of the ingredients to your taste.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

1 comment: