Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Caramelized Scallops

I began really enjoying scallops when I worked in a very nice restaurant in college and they had them on the menu.  They were served with a asparagus risotto that was to die for!  I realize now that I was a bit spoiled.  Not all scallops taste that good, some are grainy, and you just never really know what you're going to get.  I picked these up from Central Market and was very pleased with them.  They tasted smooth and were very large.  I thought this recipe would be a perfect introduction to cooking scallops for me and I was right, it's pretty simple and doesn't take a lot of prep.
Heat butter on medium high in a large pan.  I love this picture, looks like the butter is running away from me, or from the heat maybe?
Wash and pat the scallops dry.  I had around six scallops, and that was plenty for two people.  The recipe makes 12, so I cut everything in half.  I was nervous three each wouldn't fill us up, but with the brown rice it was perfect.
Season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper.  Spread sugar on a plate and dip one side of each scallop in the sugar before placing it in the heated pan.
Before you start cooking the scallops make sure you zest and squeeze the juice out of one lemon and have that ready to put into the pan.
Also chop one tablespoon of parsley.  Set aside.
Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until scallops are nicely seared.
Add the wine and lemon juice.  Reduce the sauce by half.
Serve scallops topped with pan sauce, lemon zest, and parsley.  I served over brown rice, and thought the wine and lemon reduction tasted awesome as the sauce.  Like I said, this is a very simple dish to make and it the outcome looks and tastes amazing.  C doesn't really like scallops but did say this was one of the best he's tasted, so I was pretty proud of that!  They taste a little sweet because of the sugar, and one side of the scallop caramelizes which creates some texture as you eat them.  Enjoy!

Caramelized Scallops
Adapted from The Foodie Bride
Serves 12 *I cut in half
12 large scallops
pinch of kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup white wine
1 lemon, zested and squeezed
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped

Heat butter over medium heat in a large pan.
Pat scallops dry, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
Spread sugar on a plate and dip one side of each scallop into the sugar.
Place in the saute pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely seared.
Add the wine and lemon juice and reduce by half.
Serve topped with pan sauce, lemon zest and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment