Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondue

I don't know about you, but when I originally thought about making fondue, I thought it was a little over my head.  I was also super nervous about the huge mess it would make, so I really had to hype myself up to make it so I could handle the cleaning afterward.  I was pleasantly surprised at how simple it was to make, and how there are plenty of options to serve it without creating a huge pile of dishes!  I initially made this to bring into work for a "dip off," where another co-worker was bringing in the official fondue fountain.  I will say I was happy she was the sucker who took that home afterward to clean it!!  At home I served it in a little dipping dish and it worked out just as well. 
I'm by no means a chocolate expert, and still have a lot to learn.  The recipe calls for one bag of Sephra Belgian Dark Chocolate, if you want to use that I'm sure it would be great.  I used what I found at my local grocery store chain; Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate, 60% Cacao, and it was pretty tasty if I do say so myself!
And here's the reason why I chose this recipe over the many other fondue recipes; Nutella.  Amazing idea to put into fondue.
Begin by melting the Nutella over medium heat on the stove.  Slowly stir in the oil until spread reaches consistency of melted chocolate.
At the same time start melting the chocolate.  Be careful not to heat either one of these too high, you don't want them to burn and stick to the pot.
Stir the Nutella into the melted chocolate.  If it still seems thick add additional oil.  If you're using a chocolate fountain pour mixture into fountain and run through on high setting.  If you're serving in a dish, serve warm.
Some great ideas to dip in the fondue are strawberries, pineapple, marshmallows, graham crackers, bananas, crepes, and vanilla wafer cookies.  This turned out so great - and everyone at work loved it.  The smell the fondue gives off is addicting and just sucks you in to try it.  This also keeps very well if you put in a container in the fridge.  It will harden, but all you have to do is heat it in the microwave for a few minutes to let it melt again and serve or put in the fondue fountain.  Definitely a very versatile dessert that is sure to impress. 
Make sure you stop by tomorrow, there's a very special guest post coming your way.  :)

Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondue
*Makes enough to turn through the largest home fountains
32oz hazelnut spread, I used Nutella
1/4 cup vegetable oil *more if needed to thin
2 lbs Sephra Belgian Dark Chocolate

Melt hazelnut spread over medium heat on the stove.
Slowly stir in oil until spread reaches consistency of melted chocolate.
Melt the chocolate over medium heat, and when completely melted add in the hazelnut spread.
If fondue is too thick, thin with additional oil.
Serve with your choice of sides, and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so Yummy....I'd love to make it in a small batch just for those days that I want a little something sweet with my strawberries/bananas. This family loves Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karriann - If you want to make a small batch I would recommend cutting the recipe by 1/4 - the whole recipe makes a ton! Let me know how it goes. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have worked with a chocolate fountain several times. The surprise was that the favorite thing to dip in the fountain was potato chips. And be sure to use a chip with ridges like Ruffles - they hold more chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many servings would this recipe yield?..
    My sister is planning to make chocolate fondue for about 50-60 persons. Would this be enough?

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chantal, I think you would double this for 50-60 people.. or maybe 1 1/2 the recipe. I will say this isn't really great for leftovers, so you want to run out! Hope this helps :)

      Delete