Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm Back & Shrimp Curry

After being home for two days I finally have time and energy to spare and am getting around to posting some yummy dishes for you.  I had a great weekend in Michigan, it was jam packed and I was able to see a ton of old friends.  However, I forgot how much I dislike mosquitoes, I've been carrying around anti-itch cream with me since I got back.  Oh well - gotta take the good with the bad I guess!  
This dish was a plotted effort to copy a meal at Thai restaurant that C really likes.  It turned out pretty well, and although not as thick as the restaurant version, I will be making this again because it tasted great.
You'll need a can of coconut milk, as well as mild curry pasta and red curry paste.  Be careful as the pastes stain your hands, and leave a curry smell on you for a while!
In a large saucepan heat oil over medium high heat.  Add the curry pastes and stir together.  Cook for around 30 seconds until the spices become fragrant.
I used shrimp, but you could also use scallops or chicken too.
Dice up 1-2 red bell peppers.
I also chopped up a few slices of pineapple to add for additional flavor.
Add the shrimp and the bell peppers to the curry mixture.  Stir to combine.
Add the coconut milk to the mixture.
Add the pineapple and cook for around five minutes until the shrimp is cooked through.  Taste for seasoning and add lime juice to your taste.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy!  I served as a soup with brown rice, which I ended up kind of spooning into the curry mixture.  I think the many textures are what makes this great - between the shrimp, pineapple, peppers and the curry soup, it's like a party in your mouth :)  
See you back here tomorrow!

Shrimp Curry
Adapted from Jaden Hair
Serves 4
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons mild curry paste
1/8 teaspoon red chili paste
1 can coconut milk
1-2 red bell peppers, diced
1 pound shrimp
1/2 cup pineapple, in bite size pieces
juice of 1 lime

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
Add the curry and chili paste and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the shrimp, peppers, and coconut milk and stir to combine.
Add the pineapple pieces and cook for around 5 minutes until shrimp is cooked through.
Add lime juice to your taste.
Lade into the bowls and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment