Monday, July 25, 2011

Shrimp & Broccoli Pasta Salad

Sometimes I get really motivated and....buy Women's Health magazine.  Bet you thought I was going to say exercise didn't ya?  That's for another day!  Women's Health has some great recipes sometimes, I've tried a couple and am usually pretty pleased with the outcome.  This shrimp and broccoli pasta was one of the good ones.  It can be served hot or cold, I chose hot, but I think it would taste pretty great either way!
I steamed fresh broccoli, but you could use frozen as well.
Also used whole grain pasta.  Cook in a large pot with salted water until cooked through.
I cooked the shrimp on the stove with a little black and cayenne pepper.  Gave the pasta little extra kick when everything was mixed together.
Cut in half around 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes.  Or you can use sun-dried tomatoes.
You'll need olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Mix the olive oil, vinegar, tomatoes in a large bowl with onion powder and oregano. 
Add freshly squeezed lemon juice from a half of a lemon.  When the pasta, shrimp, and broccoli are all finished add to the bowl with the olive oil mixture and stir to combine.
Serve immediately for the dish to be hot, or you can mix together and keep in the fridge to eat cold later.  This recipe was awesome - simple and only 315 calories.  I added a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top for additional flavor, but you can leave that out if you like.  Kudos to Women's Health for this one!
Happy Monday ya'll ;)
(Yes I said ya'll, I've lived in Texas for a year so I think I've earned it!)

Shrimp & Broccoli Pasta Salad
Serves 2
Adapted from Women's Health magazine
8 oz cooked shrimp
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
1 cup steamed broccoli
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Serve immediately or refrigerate to eat cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment